Large posts\trip reports and then some.

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
Tim_Messing

Large posts\trip reports and then some.

Post by Tim_Messing »

Hi Eric, Bruce, Kim and other admins.

I've just about got my Idaho 2007 soak trip pictures in order and uploaded to my web storage.

Before proceeding with the post I have some issues I would like to have addressed.

My question is:

During the trip I covered alot of territory and have some thirty different hot springs to post (most with only one picture apiece). If I understand the current topic format correctly you would like these posted in thier own seperate topic by hot spring. That would make for 30 seperate topics on one trip report clogging up the Idaho regional topic. Could I get some clarification on this?

Also in the Wyoming Regional topic could you delete the topic about Yellowstone 2006 pictures as that went astay and became a post about how many photos to a subect and what file size to post (thats why I'm asking the above question). I'll get back to posting those pictures after I've thought about it for awhile (thinking hard on something usually requires soaking on my part).

Thanks.

-- Tim.M
Eric

Post by Eric »

Hi Tim:

I'm new to this administration and moderation business, so learning as I go. I'm definitely moving toward the side of minimal to no moderation of users' on-topic posts.

It sounds like your trip report is best posted as one topic. As stated in the other conversation you referenced, the considerations would be: 1) the number of photos in one topic (the greater the number, the less likely people with slow Internet connections are to stick around to wait for it to download; and 2) the width of any single picture (since a pic wider than 1024 px breaks the layout of the text at a 1280x1024 screen resolution).

I think posts with very large numbers of pictures are best broken into Part 1, Part 2. Once you've posted all the parts, you could go back and edit each part to include links to the other parts.

Instead of deleting that Yellowstone topic, I moved it to the Pictures forum and retitled it to better reflect what was discussed.

Eric
mikel g

Post by mikel g »

Just my two bits as a reader:
If more than one hot spring is visited in one 'swoop', list those together. The key (to me) is being able to find the name of the spring in the title of the post. If you checked out several along the road to Atlanta, and some of these were brief, stick them in one post.

If one swoop netted "Pistol Cr, Kwiskwis, M Fk Indian Cr", then it makes sense to put all those in one post. It reads more like a single adventure or story -- which is what we're here for (I think).

If the number of springs you're listing doesn't fit into the title box, it's probably occasion to start another thread. If you can fit '2007' in, so much the better. Thanks for all the great stuff.
If life were supposed to be tough, why would there be hot springs?
Bryan C

Post by Bryan C »

If each of the springs you visited already have a thread in each of the state/region, you might just want to add a post with the link to the big trip report/posts. This way, everyone can read it via different methods, ie cover all possible area in question.

I also would think the big travel report, if fill with pictures, might as well make the big report in the picture section/forum.....