Posting pictures using Image Poster

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
Kim_S

Posting pictures using Image Poster

Post by Kim_S »

Hi Eric- glad to see everything up and running -Nice work!

I didn't see the Image Poster button anymore. Am I just not seeing it, or can we not post pictures directly to it from our computers anymore? It's not a major thing as it's pretty easy to post from photo sites like Flickr and Photobucket. Just curious.. Thanks Kim
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
Eric

Image Poster

Post by Eric »

That was a nice mod to the Free Forums version of phpBB which they included because Image Poster and Free Forums are owned by the same company.

A quick look shows that there are similar mods available through the phpBB website. It's my third day using the software so I'm not quite ready to start modifying it yet, but that may be a good upgrade to add in the future.

Eric
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

In the mean time, I removed the section regarding ImagePoster from the pictures/links guidelines.

--Bruce...
nwhotsprings webmaster

Post by nwhotsprings webmaster »

The file attachments mod I found on the phpbb website is pretty good. It is a little complicated to to do. But easier if you are using an unmodded version of phpbb. One reason I took down mine this morning, backed up, restarted, and restored it to put it back to the "vanilla" state. If your phpbb is unmodded you can use the file replacement way to make it easier, just replace files and install it's pretty straight forward. Then if you have any other mods then apply them.

I had to do it that way because I had a userlist mod. I was getting annoyed with having so many bogus user accounts that I had to do something to allow me to mass delete users in the admin panel.

So far so good though I really like it's ability to restrict or permit what files are uploaded, it also does streaming for media files. It also thumbnails images too. All in all it's a great mod. Check out:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=1671

Good luck

Scott Janssen
nwhostprings.net
webmaster
Eric

Post by Eric »

OK, so I'm pretty new at this, but it looked to me like installing the attachment mod means the attachments themselves become part of your database. I'd rather have a nice light database.

The user list mod was the first one I installed; yes, that is definitely a good one.

Eric
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Should I wait a few days to add this feature to the image/links guidelines in the pictures section?

This will give the users time to see if it fits their needs or if there's other changes.

I agree, tho, that you shouldn't host images on your own server as there are plenty of other fine services out there. Keep the forum simple & small.

--Bruce...
nwhotsprings webmaster

Post by nwhotsprings webmaster »

From what I understand about that file attachment mod, is that it adds a couple tables to the database. The uploaded files themselfs actually aren't put in the database, they're put in a folder called files off the root of your phpbb directory. The only stuff it addes to the database are the comments, and the pointers to which messages the files were posted to. But it looks like it integrates better than that one you have on there now. I would love to see a version of phpbb that has a file/photo area separate from the forums. But maybe in a future version.

Scott
Eric

ImageShack and ImagePoster options deleted

Post by Eric »

As I mentioned in a post in the Pictures subforum, neither ImageShack nor ImagePoster will be available as options for picture posting on this forum. Please read Bruce's (BNMac's) tutorial, "How to post images and links on SoakersForum", which is posted as a sticky in the Pictures subforum.

Eric