The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
Tim_Messing

Post by Tim_Messing »

Eric,

Is there anyway to increasing the avatars file size from 15k to between 100 to 150k? My spining onsen character is a 115k gif file.

Yes i know, selfish intrest on my part, but I like seeing other peoples animated avartars also.

-- Tim.M
Eric

Animated avatars

Post by Eric »

The answer to your question is yes, the maximum file size can be increased.

What I've run into on other sites is that some people find animated avatars as annoying as flashing ads.

Tim's avatar is a good example of what you would see. If anybody has thoughts about that one way or the other, please comment in this thread.

Eric
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Hi Eric, just my personal opinion, but I don't care much for animated .gifs- just too distracting. On the other hand, increasing the avatar size slightly sounds good, but I'm easy... so whatever everyone likes....
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

I would like to see the size increased a little.

Just my opinion...
...Soaking in the steam in 2015...
Eric

Larger avatars

Post by Eric »

OK, let's try this. I have increased the maximum allowed dimensions of avatars to 125 x 125 and the maximum file size has been increased to 20 kb. So you should be able to get a decent quality picture in there and 125 x 125 is about 56% larger than 100 x 100.

The animation...as I said I've seen this battle fought on another site. A few people like the animated GIFs (the users who want to post them); more people don't care for them.

My personal opinion is: I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and Flashblock to get rid of all the blinking and flashing on commercial sites. So I'm not real keen on animated avatars either. But if you can put one together with a file size limitation of 20 kb I suppose you can use it unless there are just too many complaints.

Eric
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

Tim's has never bothered me but on other sites I belong to there are some obnoxious ones...
...Soaking in the steam in 2015...
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Tim's doesn't bother me either! Eric- thanks for the tip about Adblock Plus and Flashblock. I love the Firefox browser and use it almost exclusively.
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
Eric

Post by Eric »

Kim_S wrote:Eric- thanks for the tip about Adblock Plus and Flashblock. I love the Firefox browser and use it almost exclusively.
I can't imagine why anyone running the Windows OS would choose to use Internet Explorer anymore. Firefox with Adblock Plus makes the web experience so much more pleasant with the elimination of the ridiculous ads. Here's the link for downloading the Adblock Plus add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Some people may find Flashblock a bit of overkill, but I like it because it prevents video and audio from suddenly starting up and blasting you. Here's the Flashblock link:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Thanks Eric!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large