pictures to big

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

You are a master, Jim! It works on my Mac, but not my wife's Mac... until we found a setting in the Keyboard & Mouse settings in the System Preferences titled: Zoom using scroll wheel while holding [^Control]
where the control key could be changed to Option or Command.

PFM. (Pure Fine Magic).

--Bruce...
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Jim-that works great! Excellent tip!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
skndip

Post by skndip »

Thanks all for the help. If i set everything up to view this fourm which does work properly, then when i go to other places i must change my settings for that place???????? As with the tip on holding the ctrl down and scrolling it does not work on this fourm, but works excellent on the other fourm?????

Any way it is time to go soaking, somewhere....... :D S
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Skndip, what kind of computer are you on, and what is your operating system? That might may a difference..and/or the type of mouse you have!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
skndip

Post by skndip »

Kim---I am using a fairly new Dell desktop w/19inch lcd monitor and a dell mouse w/schroll on top of it. Windows xp home edition operating system. All of the system is Dell. ????????? If I remember right this fourm never did fit my screen, or my monitor never got used to this fourm. Any way it is workable just not quite as user friendly as i would like. Thanks :D S
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Skndip- your system should handle it fine- if Jim's trick doesn't work you could still tweak around with the display properties as I mentioned in a previous post to adjust the fonts and /or screen display for this forum.
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
-BoatSoaker77-

Re: pictures to big

Post by -BoatSoaker77- »

I've used ImageShack.us to post pics for a long time and never had an issue. I'm getting an error message that says I cannot exceed 1,100 pixels. What doesn't make sense to me is the image is actually hosted on another site and I'm only bringing the link over to paste? I don't understand what's wrong?
compassion, moderation, humility, soak......
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

That's another oddity with this board - I set the image size limits to 1100x even though I don't host the images. Why? Unfortunately the board doesn't scale linked images to a maximum limit, instead, it simply issues a message stating the image is too large. You'll need to scale your image to a maximum of 1100x1100 and re-upload them to your host, then try the link again.

Hope that helps,

--Bruce...
There must be someplace in the middle of the fringe where I fit in... Woody Russell, Salt
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

I don't know specifically how ImageShack works, but most hosts allow you to select a picture size that will fit nicely on the forum. In Flickr I usually choose either the Medium or Large Size, but never the Original size which I always post on Flickr with maximum resolution.

We had this discussion a while back when a member with dial-up had mentioned how long it takes to load larger resolution pictures with only a dial-up connection.
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I re-size photos (with a photo editing program) BEFORE uploading them to the photo sharing web site. That way I don't have to worry about the site resizing the pictures with gawd-awful compression (like photos on Yahoo message groups).

Wayne Estes
Oakland, Oregon, USA
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

I too re-size but I do it when I download the camera as Nikon gives you that option.

Is there anyone out there that can help me with photo-shop? I have an older version and I can't seem to find anyway to crop a photo. There are no tools on the tool bar for that..

When I get home tonight I'll check to see what version it is. I'm trying to crop out the background and adjust the size of the photo of some paintings for another web site...
...Soaking in the steam in 2015...
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Jeff, check to see if there is a "Rectangular Marquee" icon on your menu or something similiar. After selecting that,You would then just use the mouse to draw around the area you want to crop.Then do an Edit-Copy, Edit Paste into a new blank Photoshop document.
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large