Check your email addresses!

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
BNMac

Check your email addresses!

Post by BNMac »

Folks, I've been getting a few bounces from email service providers lately. Why do I get a bounce? If you have your preferences set to send you an email when someone sends you a PM or posts/replies to a topic, you'll get the email unless there's a problem with your service.
Those problems could be:
o Incorrect email address (we don't check 'em until we get bounces)
o Your inbox is full
o The contract with your ISP has expired; you've moved on to a different provider
o The provider has changed the domain name, such as the recent move from Verizon to Frontier
o Too many messages in a short time from our host (Siteground211) appear to be spam to your email provider...
o etc.

When I get a bounce, I take two actions:
1) I turn off YOUR preference setting to send you email
and
2) I notify you via a PM.

Obviously, if you are exchanging a lot of PMs, I get a bounce message for each PM in my admin email account.

So... check your email addresses you have on file in your User Control Panel, particularly if you have the Notify feature turned on.

Thanks for participating!
--Bruce, your SoakersForum Admin...
There must be someplace in the middle of the fringe where I fit in... Woody Russell, Salt
BNMac

Re: Check your email addresses!

Post by BNMac »

Following up - A couple of these bounces were probably due to Microsoft/Live/Hotmail's sensitivity to spam... that is, if they see too many emails in a short time, they filter it as spam. Now this being a small board, all things considered, there is very little in the way of emails being sent from SoakersForum.com - however, the problem is our host is Siteground211, and they host hundreds of websites. All mail from those websites are sent through Siteground's email servers, it it appears they are a source of spam. (And perhaps, some of the website operators ARE spammers.)

What can you do? If possible, change your email address in your User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings tabs to something other than your Hotmail/Microsoft/Live address.

What can I do? Not much, other than to turn off your preferences for "Notify me on new private messages" (Board Preferences > Global Settings) and "Notify me upon replies by default" (Board Preferences > Edit Posting Defaults).

If you have problems finding these settings, I'll post images. Having tabs on the left side of the screen when you are on tabs across the top is confusing... I know, I'm easily confused too.

Take care, Soak on!
There must be someplace in the middle of the fringe where I fit in... Woody Russell, Salt