Descending Default?

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
Pintofan

Descending Default?

Post by Pintofan »

On multi-page topics I find myself scrolling down to the bottom, clicking on page next after I realized I wasn't reading the most recent post, waiting for that page to load and then scrolling down again to read the most recent post. What's the chance of seeing the most recent post at the top when clicking on the topic? Thanks.
Wayne

Re: Descending Default?

Post by Wayne »

Or, at the very least take the reader to the most recent "page" in the thread.

Wayne (no nit too small to pick) Estes
Oakland, Oregon
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

I hear ya. Look to the right, my good soakers. When you see a list of topics, you see a little page icon with an arrow pointing down & to the right. That is a link to the latest unread post.
Next, when you click into a topic, there's a link on the right that says "First Unread Post". That will take you to there. Also, as you scroll down in the post list, look at the "by Wayne >> Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:30 am" (for example) you'll see a little page icon - it is either red or white. If it's red, it is "unread".

Hmmm changing the post order to see the latest at the top, eh? Lemme work on it.

--Bruce...
There must be someplace in the middle of the fringe where I fit in... Woody Russell, Salt
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

crikey, I just confustated myself.

I have a solution. It is settable by each person in your UCP (User Control Panel) or I can set it globally and confuse the rest of us!

To change the display order of posts from ascending (Newest at bottom) to descending (newest on top), click on the User Control Panel link just under the banner. Then:
o Click Board Preferences Tab
o Click Edit Display Options item in the tab bar to the LEFT.
o At the bottom of the page, Change "Display post order direction:" to Descending.
o Submit

Then when you browse the board, all posts will be listed from newest to oldest, just like you see the topics.

How's that??

--Bruce...
There must be someplace in the middle of the fringe where I fit in... Woody Russell, Salt
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Bruce- that works great! I changed to "Descending" because I like the most recent post on top! Thanks for the tip!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
Pintofan

Post by Pintofan »

Perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for. Bruce, you are the Man and I'm a little embarrassed I didn’t check the UCP first. Thank you!
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

I never thought about it until I spotted the boxes at the bottom of the forums and... Oh, the posts too! Then I thought - if they are there, just maybe they are in the UCP... and guess what? Hee hee!

I have just two more desires - the ability to have the board say "You have Unread posts" /You have no Unread posts"
and the ability to step from one to the next without having to go up to the forum and back into the post. (like the old board!)

--B...