pictures to big

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
skndip

pictures to big

Post by skndip »

I hate to complain as this a great site, but the pictures seem to be to big. The Idaho thread will not down load the pics on my computer. I have a fairly new computer and a DSL connection (512mb). I wonder if there is some way to limit the size of pics on the treads??? As the pics are wide I have to scrool back and forth just to read the threads. Maybe these pics could be down loaded to the pic site there by leaving the thread readable. Any way thanks for a great site. S
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

Hey Skndip, we try to add photos that don't require scrolling but sometimes the older ones are a little big and I am guilty of this one, being at work with no photo shop to resize them.

Most everybody trys to keep them in the screen and it is a pain to scroll to read the words. Some of the photo sites do resize them for posting. I believe Bruce wrote an artical here about resizing and I need to review it.

Enjoy the site and add your 2 cents worth...
...Soaking in the steam in 2015...
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

If necessary, tap the Esc key to stop the images from loading. This stops the download but all the text in the article should be loaded. You can then read the conversation.

I know this kind of defeats the purpose of the postings but in some cases there are way too many images so it takes a while for the whole thing to load. If you want to see the images, you'll need to give it a few moments to let them load.

Other versions/brands of the forum software have the ability to set a maximum image size. Unfortunately this being free forum software we don't have that feature, and while we moderators/site admins highly recommend keeping image sized below 1000 px wide and the count per article at a reasonable number, we've chosen not to set a hard limit. Rather, if there are plenty of public complaints such as this one, the guilty parties should get the hint to reduce the size and number of images for the benefit of everyone.

Hope that helps.

--Bruce...
Eric

Post by Eric »

As Bruce says, we're relying on providing good information about picture postings to users, rather than imposing restrictions via the forum software, to keep the threads with pictures easily viewable. I think this will always be the preferred solution, although I'll look at the software options again when it comes time to make the move from phpBB version 2 to version 3 (which won't happen for quite some time).

Eric
Captain Curmudgeon

Post by Captain Curmudgeon »

... being at work with no photo shop to resize them.
Working I can't address, but if you lack photoshop, you can get Picasa for free. Resizing is a little awkward (unless they've changed it since I last used it), but cropping is easy. Crop, resize and your post can be a lot better. I think (have to check) that I always crop/resize to 400 x 300 or so.

Naturally,
R.O.
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

There are many good photo editing programs out there. Photoshop Elements is inexpensive and its a cinch to resize, crop, and sharpen among other things. I don't have time to mess with this stuff- Elements does a lot and is very easy to learn.My favorite button is the "Auto Smart Fix". One click and an over or underexposed picture gets fixed. Along with Google Earth, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office, and Mozilla Firefox, it's part of my Fave Five !
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

Getting the program isn't the problem. I have to by pass the lock out on downloading programs on to computer. I think I have it figured out but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Greyfalcon
Site Admin

Post by Greyfalcon »

If you don't have a photo editing program on your computer, you can reduce photos with the Windows Paint program in your computer's accessories folder (Windows image viewer usually defaults to this when you choose to edit from there).

Open the photo you wish to downsize, save it as a different file name so you don't hose up the original, select the "image" dropdown on the top menu options, and select "Stretch/Skew." Then type in a reduced and equal percentage in both the "Horizontal" and "Vertical" boxes....30% reduced a 2592 x 1944 photo to 778 x 584; from 889KB to 114KB...just about right for posting.
Stoked to soak!
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Paul, did you and and Linda end up going to AZ for MLK?
If you did, I know you're busy preparing a trip report and pictures to share with us all :wink:
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
Greyfalcon
Site Admin

Post by Greyfalcon »

Kim_S wrote:If you did, I know you're busy preparing a trip report and pictures to share with us all :wink:
See our post on Hot Well Dunes in the Arizona section. I'm on the road again, but if I have time I'll try to post a couple of pics from Roper Lake.
Stoked to soak!
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Thanks Paul!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
skndip

Pages to big for screen

Post by skndip »

Help---seems that this fourm is to big for my monitor screen. I have to scroll back and forth for the text and the pics. The other fourm and most stuff fits. Advice???????? :?: S
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Which specific topics? Or is it my fancy banner image? I'll fix it if that's causing you problems....

For the rest of us - when posting images, it's a good idea to size them prior to posting a link to the image in your posting. Generally it's best to limit the width to 700-800 pixels.

This image is 722 pixels wide:

skndip, does that make this forum too wide for your display?

--Bruce...
skndip

Post by skndip »

Bruce Even the opening page is to wide. For all including idaho i have to scroll back and fourth to see what was posted. Not complaining mind you but the soak net page fits perfectly on my screen............???? Even this post is about 25% to wide for my screen. Thanks. :D S
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Ok, try reloading the main page now. (image resized from 600px to 400px in width)

Regarding images in general - while we recommend maximum sizes, we don't restrict them so you'll get what people post.

If you encounter a section where the images are too wide or there's too many to display on your net connection, try turning off image display in your browser. Then you can view only text - which will load fast!

--Bruce...
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I guess skndip's monitor only displays 600x800 pixels.

Skndip, do you have a vision problem that requires you to use a low resolution (to make text larger)? If your new computer came with a new monitor, surely its native resolution is much greater than 600x800 pixels.

To find out the resolution setting of your display, right-click on a blank portion of your Windows desktop and select "Properties", then click the "Settings" tab. Soakersforum pages should look wonderful if you select a resolution of 768x1024 pixels or more. The higher you set the resolution, the more stuff you can see on your screen. But higher resolution makes things smaller on your display, possibly making text hard to read.

Wayne Estes
Oakland, Oregon
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

Mine is set at 1024x768 which is the max res for this computer.

I have the same problem as skndip..

I just scroll over for everything. It's a pain but I really don't like the dinky screens that my kids favor. Even with reading glasses I can hardly see whats on there after the kids mess with my settings...
skndip

Post by skndip »

Thanks guys for the help. Resetting mine to 768-1024 fixed the screen problem. But now the text is very small. Will figure it out now. :D S
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Skndip. you are almost there. Now to make your fonts bigger, try this:

Right click your Desktop, Select "Properties", "Settings", "Advanced"
You can adjust the DPI setting to a "Custom Setting" or to "Normal size" or "Large Size". This should solve it!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
jrbarber

Post by jrbarber »

Skndip, Try clicking/holding ctrl key while rotating mouse wheel (between right & left clicks?). You can make text larger or smaller w/o affecting pics. It doesn't work in all instances but I use it all the time in this group.

CO(lorado) Jim