Banner image

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
longsoaks

Banner image

Post by longsoaks »

Is this months banner picture in CA around Cedarville?
For every memory we made.....
Soaker Dan
Site Admin

Re: Banner image

Post by Soaker Dan »

Central NV...
Casa Blanca Hot Spring

Banner image

Post by Casa Blanca Hot Spring »

Cedarville was our first guess too and we also guessed it could be Balthazar in Nevada, but....
So Many Hot Springs, So Little Time...
HotSpringHopper

Post by HotSpringHopper »

Dan,

Is this January 2018 month's banner photo of any of the many hot springs in Dixie Valley located in central Nevada northeast of Fallon ?

HotSpringHopper
Kevin
Soaker Dan
Site Admin

Post by Soaker Dan »

HotSpringHopper wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:00 pmIs this January 2018 month's banner photo of any of the many hot springs in Dixie Valley located in central Nevada northeast of Fallon ?
Nope! A few valleys east... It is the Reese River Valley Hot Springs after the tubs were removed in 2014.
longsoaks

Post by longsoaks »

I keep forgetting the pool is gone :shock: , and never saw it in snow, either :wink: It wasn't a great soak anyway, but it could have been much more :(
Soaker Dan
Site Admin

Post by Soaker Dan »

There is a GREAT potential there for an awesome soaking tub! Because the source is coming out of the spring mound and thus elevated/channeled, building a dam in the channel and piping the water a short distance to a cattle trough or tub would be the ideal solution. Sadly, it is located on private property, and seeing the old cement tub was already removed, I'd venture to guess the property owner would not allow new tub(s) to be built.
HotSpringHopper

Post by HotSpringHopper »

Soakers Forum Readers

How about visiting there with the intention for drawing out plans on paper . Take measurements and photos of the particular logistics , to design a custom wood beam or resin beam frame . It would be held together with zinc plated or better yet stainless steel hex bolts , fender washers and wing nuts. You could store them in a clear plastic jar with a plastic screw on lid. You would divert the water in with pre measured PVC Pipe sections. You would line the frame with a nylon tarp sized to fit.

Bring the kit each time you visit , build it , enjoy the tub during your stay, take it apart and take it with you when you go.

I call it the disappearing pool.

It is there when you are there and it is gone when you leave.

That guarantees you a soak and no body can steal it or vandalize it after you leave , because you bring it with you when you go there each time and take it with you each time you leave.

It prevents the place from becoming popular and almost guarantees you that you will have it to yourself each time you go there , unless someone else happens to be there , when you arrive , checking the place out . If so , they will soon be disappointed and leave. If anyone shows up while you are there, you could share your hot spring pool with them with careful oversight . Under no circumstances , would you leave your pool there , after you leave . The only reason you would leave your pool materials there is if they are trusted and reliable friends that would return the frame parts , bolts ,washers , wingnuts , tarp and PVC Pipes to you , when they are finished with their soak .

Some hot springs get ruined by jerks , because of the remote location .

This idea is the only way to have a hot pool for yourself and not leave a permanent hot pool to attract the jerks , who mess things up for everyone.

Let me know what you think of this idea.

If anyone goes to the trouble of doing this, draw up plans with dimensions and an assembly plan and parts list , share it with the other readers on soakers forum so they can build there own and bring it to that specific location . If they go through the trouble an expense of doing so , they will take good care of it and can have their own private Nevada hot spring pool experience.

I did something similar at a remote hot springs , that you must backpack 12 miles one way in the Sierras and climb way up an overgrown hillside to get to . I used downed tree branches , for my frame work , to hold my nylon tarp , that I backpacked in with me . I also brought several PVC Pipe sections and connector sleeves . I planned to build my own private hot spring pool . The area I built this hot spring pool , does not have a permanent pool , nor can one be built. The ground is too hard to dig into and a shovel and pick are too heavy and bulky to backpack in . There are not any loose rocks to build a ring of rocks to hold up my tarp. I did my research and planning on a previous trip there , with my tape measure , a thermometer and note pad. I collected all of the necessary information of parts for this project . I then backpacked to the trailhead . Upon arriving back home , I collected all of these parts for this project . A decade later , I backpacked back to that site and built my own personal temporary hot springs pool. After five days of enjoying my secret hot springs pool , I drained it , dried my tarp on the bushes in the sun , folded up the tarp , collected my PVC Pipes and disassembled the framework of tree branches and dispersed them . I made this location look as if I had never even had been there. This is called no trace hot spring pool building and disassembly . Even the route I took to get there , I made sure that , I made a minimal impact to the plants and ground to keep this hot springs location wild.

If any of you soakers forum readers is a current avid backpacker in the Sierras , send me a personal message ( PM ) to find out where this location is . If you are serious about going there , I will share the secret of how to get there , if you make a promise to not reveal the location , to anyone , who is not a minimal impact type backpacker / hot spring pool builder .

A blow up kiddie pool might work at that location in central Nevada , but they are too wide and not deep enough and are prone to leaks and need a flat smooth area to set them up. I tried this once at Montecito Hot Springs near Santa Barbara CA in the late 1970's and once at Saline Valley , CA in the late 1970's. Both times I diverting the water with a garden hose syphon. It worked but the pool was too shallow.

HotSpringHopper
Kevin
Soaker Dan
Site Admin

Post by Soaker Dan »

HotSpringHopper wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:30 pmBring the kit each time you visit , build it , enjoy the tub during your stay, take it apart and take it with you when you go.

I call it the disappearing pool.

It is there when you are there and it is gone when you leave.

That guarantees you a soak and no body can steal it or vandalize it after you leave , because you bring it with you when you go there each time and take it with you each time you leave.
The 'issue' is the property owner not wanting anyone soaking there - hence the removal of the original tub.
longsoaks

Post by longsoaks »

You still have Spencer and Bartine, at this time. A-holes are forcing many ranchers to frown on us visiting without permission today, far cry from the west I grew up in. Marble Hot Springs flows on both sides of the road, NUBP as well, what a shame........

I last made my own temporary pools at Fernley in the early 2000's, I quit making improved pools when I lived in Bridgeport and they got destroyed by the very people who should have enjoyed them.