Private message mystery

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
Eric

Private message mystery

Post by Eric »

Hello everyone. A couple of times recently I have received the automatic e-mail saying I have a private message. Then when I log on to the forum to look for it, the message isn't there.

Reasons could be:

1. There's something wrong with the forum software and the private message isn't being delivered.

2. The sender has deleted the private message before I had a chance to read it.

If it's (2), this may happen because the sender isn't quite sure how the PMs work. When you compose a PM and hit Submit, the message should go to your Outbox. It will stay there until the person you are sending it to reads it. While it's in your Outbox, you can edit or delete the message...meaning you can delete it before the recipient reads it, if you change your mind about sending it. When the person reads the message, it will go from your Outbox to your Sentbox.

This is different from e-mail where you can delete a message from your Sent folder immediately after hitting Send, and the person will still get the message.

So...if you've tried to send me a PM recently, I haven't received it, so perhaps you'd rather e-mail it to: SoakersForum (at) yahoo.com. If you have sent me a PM and not deleted it, I need to check the software and try to figure out why private messaging isn't working right.

Eric
mikel g

Post by mikel g »

Eric, I sent you a PM shortly after your post above. I didn't tamper with anything in my Outbox. Did you get it?
If life were supposed to be tough, why would there be hot springs?
Eric

Post by Eric »

Yes, mikel, I got your message. The issue above was that the person had deleted it from their outbox before I read it.

On the subject of private messages, a few of the e-mails that the software automatically sends out (such as to notify you that you have a private message) are bouncing back to me undeliverable because they are being blocked as spam. One of the problems with shared hosting is that if somebody abuses the server by using it to send spam, everybody else using that server suffers the consequences. If you have a spam filter you can control and you want to receive those e-mails, you could try making sure that e-mails from "webmaster (at) soakersforum.com" are allowed. If it's your ISP blocking the e-mails, I'm not sure what you can do to fix it.

Eric