Getting too many e-mails from SoakersForum? Read this

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
Eric

Getting too many e-mails from SoakersForum? Read this

Post by Eric »

When you register for the forum, two of the settings are "Always notify me of replies" (yes or no) and "Notify on new Private Message" (yes or no). By default, "Always notify me of replies" is set to No and "Notify on new Private Message" is set to Yes.

If you change "Always notify me of replies" to Yes, you will get an e-mail every time someone posts a reply in a topic in which you have posted a comment. I have already had a couple of people get very angry with me because of this, and I can understand why...they were flooded with notification e-mails. I strongly advise against setting "Always notify me of replies" to Yes. You may wish to check your profile and verify that setting; it is near the bottom of the page.

When you compose a message, you will notice a check box below the text window, "Notify me when a reply is posted". If you want to be notified by e-mail to replies about that particular message, you can check the box. Bear in mind that if 50 people post replies in that thread, you will get 50 e-mails, so I think even that is a bad idea. If you check that box and then start getting too many e-mails, you can come back to your message and click the Edit button, which gives you the opportunity to un-check the box. (Make sure you click the Submit button to finalize your change; if you don't click Submit the box won't remain un-checked.)

On the second question, "Notify on new Private Message", the default setting is Yes, which sends you an e-mail any time someone on the forum sends you a Private Message. Personally I like the e-mail notification because it's more likely that I will see the message and be able to respond quickly, so I leave that set at Yes.
paulj

Post by paulj »

I notice the other site, which pertains more to my comment, is locked to comments. Anyway, I haven't noticed any increase in spam since signing on to this site. Count me as a satisfied customer----at least so far.
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Hello fellow soakers,

Best as I can tell, the soak.net forum has finally bit the dust for good. This message has been displayed there for the last two days.Do you all get this message?

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, jim@guscreek.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Yep... just got it & replied to Jeffs message in the Free-For-All.

--B...
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

I loved soak.net and had been a member for a long, long time. But you must maintain a constant vigalance over your site due to spammers and the like.

I feel like I just recived word that an old friend has died. Someone that you haven't seen in a while and wanted to see, but the real world out there just wouldn't let go of you long enough..

Thanks to Eric our "Capo di tutti capi " for maintaining a site where the information about the springs stays put for future soakers and spring keepers!!!
...Soaking in the steam in 2015...
Bryan C

Post by Bryan C »

Well, we might see another wave of refugees from soak.net, since it looks like DOA. Call them the second wave settlers?

We the first wave here don't need green cards to settle here, but the second waves people might need a bit more of screening, ie there's a chance some of them might be spammers too.....
oregonjohn

Post by oregonjohn »

I, too, am saddened that an old friend has passed, so it seems. I've spent many a hour reading and posting on soak. There was a stream of info that has come from that site, but it has been in it's death bed for some time now.
Enter SoakerForum to our information rescue. Thank you Eric, et al for keeping this flow of hot water conversation going. I will try to input my 2 cents worth on occasion and maybe learn to post some pictures. With my dial-up dinasaur it was just a hassle, but alas we are getting hi-speed out in our area so there is hope. It's the cost of living out in podunk....
Well, I hear taps playing and the 21 gun salute will be forth coming, I will observe a moment of silence. Then embrace a new friend for hopefully a LONG time to come.
Cheers,
oregonjohn