Forum Info (Was Message regarding the Search System)

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
BNMac

Forum Info (Was Message regarding the Search System)

Post by BNMac »

Such as this?
"Information
Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system."

Sorry about that. I implemented a mod to disable the search by guests... and it disabled the search for everyone.

Thanks to C&B for the heads up!

--Bruce...
There must be someplace in the middle of the fringe where I fit in... Woody Russell, Salt
Casa Blanca Hot Spring

Did you get the message regarding the search system?

Post by Casa Blanca Hot Spring »

Hi Bruce,
BNMac wrote:Such as this?
"Information
Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system."

Sorry about that. I implemented a mod to disable the search by guests... and it disabled the search for everyone.

Thanks to C&B for the heads up!

--Bruce...
'N you fixed it so quickly! You're a genius! Thanks.

NN,
C&B
So Many Hot Springs, So Little Time...
Kim_S

Re: Did you get the message regarding the search system?

Post by Kim_S »

Good catch C&B and Bruce- thanks for the fix!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

You are welcome! (Considering I broke it 10 minutes before!) Anyway.. I post a note before I make the next attempt at this mod.
There must be someplace in the middle of the fringe where I fit in... Woody Russell, Salt
Eric

Post by Eric »

I usually use Google advanced search anyway when I want to search a specific site. For example, entering in the Google search box

Code: Select all

travertine site:soakersforum.com
brings up all the posts on this site which mention Travertine.
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Eric- thanks for another excellent techie tip! I had no idea we could do that!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

I always put the site first, then the term: "site:soakersforum.com mccredie".

What started me down this road? I, the site owner and administrator, got an error when I tried to access SoakersForum at work. Just one, but then subsequent views were slow. Initially I figured it was the network at work, considering we do a lot of network intensive stuff. But then it was slow everywhere, most of the day long... then I decided to check the SoakersForum server's network logs and error logs. Not real pretty... It looked as if there were some china/mexico sites trying to access files that didn't exist. One of the webserver's suggestions was to turn off searching for non-members. Yep, you see what that got me.

This is known as a bear feast. (You know how it is when you bite off such a big bite that you can't possible chew it, but you can't spit it out either? Yes, that's a bear feast) Without realizing it, I think I may have bit off a BIG bite... and now I'm having trouble chewing it, and I can't spit it out now! (sorry for the visual)

Anyway, as C&B so quickly let me know, if you see something going awry with the board, or if you have questions, don't be afraid to speak up. We appreciate it.

In the mean time, I won't bore you with detail of SQL or optimizing tables in databases or BLOBs or anything like that. B^)
BNMac

Re: Forum Info (Was Message regarding the Search System)

Post by BNMac »

Ok folks, I want to know who uses the Samsung PDA browser on the Symbian OS and/or the Ninetndo Wii to surf SoakersForum!

(January 2011 up thru the 29th)

(Of course, the Samsung browser is on a Samsung Smart Phone... but it's an interesting breakdown of our views/contributors)

My platform is Firefox on Mac and Linux, so I probably make up a large portion of those two. Netscape and Mozilla are still in the game, and that Unknown? Hmmm. And who's grabbing the board with Acrobat Webcapture?? Gotta look into that line item.

Here's the expanded platform list:

I'm on Red Hat, so someone else is the big Linux users on Ubuntu, Gentoo and Fedora.

B^)
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Interesting information Bruce. I noticed that Windows 7 is not specifically called out under operating systems.
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Yea, that's what I was noticing. I have my work's W7 machine here, perhaps I should surf the board a few times with it to see if it shows up. Maybe that's the "Unknown" catagory.
Eric

Post by Eric »

"Windows 7" = "Windows 2008".

What I want to know is, who is using Windows 3.xx? I think the Smithsonian would like to contact you.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I bet my Nokia N810 Internet Tablet was one of the "unknown" operating systems. It runs Maemo Linux with a stripped-down Mozilla browser.

Not a single iPhone, Blackberry or Android user?

Wayne Estes
Oakland, Oregon, USA
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

Hey, don't make fun of my 386 & windows 3.0.it still works..lol...
...Soaking in the steam in 2015...
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Hmmm... I have an old iPhone that I use for an iPod; I've connected to wireless and surfed the board with it. That's a good question - perhaps Mac/Safari? I can see it being under the Safari category, but not Mac. It should list as iOS.
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Eric wrote:"Windows 7" = "Windows 2008".
Thanks Eric!

Like Wayne, I was surprised to not see any Crackberries, Androids or iPhones. I'm decidedly low-tech with an ancient Virgin Mobile phone-I never use the browser ,only the phone part.
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

I think I have you beat Kim.

My phone (which most of my friends don't think I have) is an old Trac Phone that my son gave me. It's just a phone, no internet. I didn't want a "Leash" around my neck so I never bought one. 100 minutes on it lasted me 18 months. Now I have 858 minutes on it as Jason is waiting for a transplant & I am on call to drive down there at any time day or night..

When I owned the brewery I had a cell phone. Back then I was in charge of a biz & had to be avalible in case something went wrong...
mdskibum

Post by mdskibum »

Jeff Allen wrote:Hey, don't make fun of my 386 & windows 3.0.it still works..lol...
LOL
I converted my 286 with Win 3.11 to a P1 with Win 95. It still works but I use a Win XP and a Win 7 machine
instead.
Jeff Allen

Post by Jeff Allen »

Wasted last night trying to add a wysiwyg to Drupal. Failed & will have to try again.

I could have compleated a painting in that time frame. Just feel like time was lost even though I learned a lot about servers & how these programs work, or don't work..

The things I do to get an art website up & going???
mdskibum

Post by mdskibum »

Under the title of wierd stuff that's not a big deal is a technical problem with time.

I'm in California logged in on a hotel WiFi connection. The local time here is 11:55pm Tuesday.
My computer clock says 11:55 pm. This web site says 3:55 am Wednesday. This post will probably
say 3:55am. A post I just made in California section said 3:40am Wednesday.

I'm normally in Maryland where it would be 2:55am now !

Is it my computer ?
or is it soakers forum?
Eric

Post by Eric »

You can adjust the displayed time under "Board Preferences" in the User Control Panel, by setting the time zone you want and (currently) switching Daylight Savings Time to Off. You must have yours set to Eastern time (UTC -5) and DST On.

Adjusting it still leaves the clock about 12 minutes slow. That's probably an error coming from the site hosting company.