HS by state/prov index board maps

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
Big Ian

HS by state/prov index board maps

Post by Big Ian »

Hi Bruce,
I'm a new user, but I wanted to share an idea I had. Is it possible to add a map to each state/prov forum to give an approximate location for HS in that area? I thought it'd make life easier than trying to guess whereabouts a spring is based on scanning the thread. If I was new to an area or wanted to travel to an adjacent area, I would at least have a basic idea what springs are around, and I could search the forums accordingly.
Just a thought
Big Ian
Big Ian

Re: HS by state/prov index board maps

Post by BNMac »

Hi Big Ian,

Welcome to SoakersForum!

That's a great idea! I know there's some tools out there we could use to pin the general location of various springs and points of interest; when I get some cycles, I'll look into them.

In the mean time, pick up a copy of the various books on Hot Springing if you haven't already done so; they contain maps of most of the springs discussed here.
Here's a partial list as a result of Searching for "Hot Springs" on Amazon:
Glenn Woodsworth's Hot Springs of Western Canada: A Complete Guide : Also Includes Some Hot Springs in Washington and Alaska
Marjorie Gersh-Young's book: Hot Springs & Hot Pools of the Northwest
Marjorie Gersh-Young's book: Hot Springs & Hot Pools of the Southwest.
Matt C. Bischoff's book: Touring California and Nevada Hot Springs, 2nd (Touring Guides)
Nathaniel Altman's book: Healing Springs: The Ultimate Guide to Taking the Waters
Jeff Birkby's book: Touring Montana and Wyoming Hot Springs
Evie Litton's book: Hiking Hot Springs in the Pacific Northwest, 4th (Regional Hiking Series) by Evie Litton
etc.

Naturally,
--Bruce...
There must be someplace in the middle of the fringe where I fit in... Woody Russell, Salt
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Ian, besides Bruce's excellent recommendations, you can check out the Interactive Hot Springs map here:

http://map.ngdc.noaa.gov/website/seg/ho ... viewer.htm
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
Big Ian

Post by Big Ian »

Those are great suggestions guys, thanks. Does anyone know if there's an equivalent map for Canada (or more specifically SW BC)? It's unfortunate that there seems to be that big hole in the map between WA and AS. The best thing I've found so far online is the 1992 open file 2625 (?) map with imprecise lat/long. I suspect that many "certified :roll: " ghost spring locations stem from this map ("PSST! I have it on good authority that the springs are here, but I've never been there to check." etc.) as many BC rumours correlate with info from this map.
Thanks again guys! Great site!
Big Ian