New Board Has Been implemented this weekend!

The place if you have forum issues to report, questions, feedback or just need information.
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Fellow soakers, I'll be installing the new board over the weekend. I've reinstated the banner page at http://soakersforum.com/index.html (or http://soakersforum.com ) informing you of the latest updates.

When I'm ready to chop over to the new board, I'll take this one offline whereupon you'll be greeted by a message stating such.

The transition is not as simple as turning off one board, then turning on the next... unless we have some quiet time. To populate the new board with the contents (posts, users, PMs, etc), I need to do the following:
o Disable the old board (sometime this evening, I hope)
o Run a dump of this version (V2) from mysql on the server
o load that dump onto my local V2 copy so I can get the board running exactly as you see here
o Run the migration to V3 which takes a couple hours
o verify everything made it.
o Run a backup from the local copy of V3
o Copy the backup to the online version of V3
o Load the backup
o Test the new board
o Turn it on if everything is successful ... If not, I start over.

When you log in to the new board, you'll use the same username/pass as you did on this version.

--Bruce...
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Bruce, would you prefer to have people simply stay off the forum while you make the migration? Or does that make any difference or cause any interference?
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
"Soak A Lot More in 2024!"
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

When I start this process, I'll disable the board. It would be nice be able to set it to read-only but that doesn't appear to be possible.

Help that hopes!
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Right on Bruce! Good luck with it all and see you on the Flip side!!!
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
anir dendroica

Re: New Board will be implemented this weekend!

Post by anir dendroica »

As of 10:59 pm PST, new board appears to be functional. Great job Bruce with the fast turnaround!

Mark
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Thanks! That was about the time I headed off to bed. There's still some work to do on this version but it appears to be workable at this point.

--Bruce...
Kim_S

Post by Kim_S »

Good morning Bruce, so far the new board looks and works great and appears fully operational. Nicely done! Can't wait to see what other users think about it! It seems a lot faster also.
Kim Sturmer
Balneologist-at-large
Eric

Post by Eric »

It's coming in loud and clear here in Oakland, CA! Thanks, Bruce.

When everyone gets a chance, you might want to check out the "User Control Panel" on the second line below the forum logo at the top left of the page. That's an expanded version of the old "Profile" where you can change some of your individual preferences for viewing the forum. There are six tabs across the top of the panel, and then clicking each tab will bring up some new tabs along the left side. So, for example, to get your time zone to display properly, you click on Board Preferences and you see the ability to change time zone in the Edit Global Settings tab. The things like signatures and avatars are under the Profile tab.

As always, changes to your settings aren't implemented unless you hit the Submit button. Same with posting messages; I always like to hit Preview to check spelling and such before posting a message, but then it's easy to forget the Submit step. On the Preview panel there are three buttons, Save, Preview and Submit. Save just saves your draft of the message without actually posting it. Submit is the one to hit when you want to post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I found one potential problem when using the new board for the first time. I checked for new messages,then read all the new messages. Then I checked again for new messages and the messages I just read were still shown as unread. I logged out and in, and then the "new messages" function worked correctly.

The same thing happened again today. This message thread was the only unread message this morning. I read the message, went back to the main page and clicked the "view new posts" link and the message I just read was shown as an unread message.

Wayne Estes
Oakland, Oregon
TamTam

Post by TamTam »

Everything looks wonderful! Great Job and thanks for all the hard work!

Tamarah
Are you going to soak in there? Yes. Are you reallly going to soak in there? Yes. Can I go too? Yes.
BNMac

Re: New Board Has Been implemented this weekend!

Post by BNMac »

Wayne, Try deleting your cookies (link in lower right corner).

I fixed the smilies issue - it appeared some didn't get installed. Don't know why... :roll:

On the unread posts & messages; what browser are you using? I'll test it using that platform/browser combo. I use Firefox on all platforms but have Safari available on windows & Mac, and IE on windows.

This entire transition was done on my old G4 powerbook - all 550Mhz of it.

--B...
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Ok - now I understand. The "View New Posts" doesn't take into account that you've already viewed them because I've viewed all of them as well but when I click on that link - it lists all the new posts of the day. Hmmm... needs more testing.

So far on my list:
o View New Posts oddity
o Fix New User registration text - it's the only mod I've implemented on this board but I've done it to a number of versions in the test phase with mixed results. I thought it was complete but I guess not.
o Work thru the board & purge old test users and test messages that are no longer relevant.
o ...

:D
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm using Firefox as well.

Wayne
Casa Blanca Hot Spring

Post by Casa Blanca Hot Spring »

Yea! Let's hear it for Bruce and all the others for their behind-the-scenes hard work.

NN,
C&B
So Many Hot Springs, So Little Time...
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Thanks!

Fixed:
o Smilies
o Board registration question

Still needs attention:
o "View Unread Posts" is MIA - The new SW has "View New Posts" - There's apparently a mod for that and I'll get to it...

Answers:
o "View Unanswered Posts" simply lists all posts on the board that have had 0 replies. Seems kinda useless to me.

Check:
o Your "User Control Panel", Board Preferences tab, "Notify me on new private messages" - I'm not sure this has been toggled on during the migration for all users. I'll need to scan some of the users prefs, but by default it is on when registering as a new user.

--bruce..

Note: I'll be away from the board this afternoon for several hours - I'll be back! (Thanks for the warning :P )
TamTam

Post by TamTam »

Bruce,
I am having a hard time with the search feature. I searched for Gila in the New Mexico thread and it came up with nothing. However a search for the word soakers in this thread worked okay. So I searched for Bagby in the Oregon thread and it came up with nothing. You never know, it could just be me doing something wrong...

Tamarah
Are you going to soak in there? Yes. Are you reallly going to soak in there? Yes. Can I go too? Yes.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I gave this a quick look and I think it's another item for Bruce's to-do list. At the moment you can't search any of the posts made prior to the conversion. A search for Bagby now turns up one hit, Tamarah's post directly above.

Here's a link for Bruce that will suggest how to create the search index:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... n#p7294245
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

It may be that I'll need to rebuild the search index.... When I last looked, the indexing had only 350ish words indexed, there's a whole lot more in 9000+ posts. I'll check it again & will update this post.

Edit: I'm currently rebuilding the search index. I'll let ya'll know when it has completed.

--Bruce...
BNMac

Post by BNMac »

Looks like the search is working better now... but it's still indexing. Searching on Gila in NM rendered 3 hits!

Enjoy...

--b...
Soakahontas

Post by Soakahontas »

Very nice job Bruce.

Thank you!